Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Friends <3

Today I think I realized how important and great friends really are.

As far as friends go, I have two basic groups of friends. The people I spend the most time with are who I call my Regular Friends, or the friends that I have who are in my grade, in my classes, eat lunch with, and do most of the normal teenagery things. Then I also have my Theatre Friends, who are the people I am in plays with, have been in plays with, go to festivals with, among other nerdy things! Since my school is a grades 6 - 12 school, it gives me the opportunity to meet and hang out with a diverse group of people, which is pretty awesome. I'm a freshman, but being in theatre gives me an environment to hang out with my friends who are in 8th grade, and my friends who are in 10th and 11th grade.

One of the best thing about being in theatre, other than actually being in the plays, is the theatre festivals. They are basically a huge convention full of people who are just like you, and won't judge you for what you're interested in. Plus, you get to take really amazing workshops from people in the business and are really talented, and see amazing student productions. At my last festival, I got to see this improv group called the "Purple Crayon" from Yale, see a short mime skit, and see this excellent performance of The Outsiders. The festivals also give you a great way to showcase your talent. You can sign up to perform in IEs (individual events, like a monologue, song, scene, and a lot of other things), and you get feedback from the pros. So far I've only been to one, but there is one this weekend, and another one the weekend after. I'm doing a monologue IE for the second festival, on the 16th. So far I've picked out a Little Prince monologue, and i've yet to pick the second one (you have to do contrasting monologues).

But back to my friends, I realized what I great support system I have, and how I've supported all of my other friends. I try to be there for them as much as I can, as tough as it can be. Even though I do so much with my regular friends, I have this whole other emotional relationship with my theatre friends. When you act, you share something with the people you perform with that you wouldn't share with others, because you have to trust these people to catch you when you fall. And believe me, at some point you will fall. But you have to get back up and keep going (wow, I just realized that was really corny). But, what I'm trying to get at is that when you act, you have to make choices, and sometimes you'll make the wrong choices, and you have to trust these people enough to let them see you fail and be down.

Honestly, without these people I'd be so lost. Not to say that I never have problems with my friends, because I do, I'm not perfect, as no one is. But, it's nice to have people who you love and who love you.
k
(sorry if that was just a huge mass of cornyness.
what can i say? i love my friends)

No comments: